SOME DENTAL FAQs
Should cavities in baby teeth be filled (as they’re going to eventually fall out)?
- Yes, because your child won’t have all of his or her adult teeth
until around age 12-13.
- Baby teeth are the only teeth children have to chew with and
cavities can cause pain, hence it can affect their nutrition.
- Milk teeth help children form words and learn to speak properly.
- Baby teeth preserves space and also create a path for adult teeth
to come in correct position.
- It helps children smile freely which helps in psychological
Is pulpectomy (RCT) in children necessary?
- Pulpectomy is performed when tooth decay is so deep that it
reaches and affects the nerves of the tooth.
- During pulpectomy, the deeply infected innermost portions of
teeth are removed and the entire tooth is filled to retain it till its
normal exfoliation(falling out) time.
- If left untreated, leads to periapical abscess( infection) which can
cause extreme pain, swelling and fever.
- This abscess( infection) may spread and affect the permanent
tooth bud. In some cases if the abscess doesn’t drain, the
infection may spread to your jaw, head and neck. You might even
develop sepsis- a life threatening infection that spreads
throughout your body.
SOME DENTAL FACTS
- A person’s smile is the most important feature for his/her personality.
- The second most common disease in the world is tooth decay.
- Fluoridated toothpastes when ingested habitually by kids can lead to
- Just like fingerprints, toothprints are unique to each individual.
- Children have one set of 20 primary (baby) teeth that start coming in
around 6 months of age.
- Soft drinks are the one of the leading causes of tooth decay.
- Humans have 4 different types of teeth: incisors to cut, canines to tear
and premolars and molars to grind.
- Less than half of your teeth are visible. The rest is hidden inside your
- Cheese can protect your teeth. It creates a protective layer around your
teeth which neutralizes the acid in plaque.
- If left untreated, tooth decay in children can lead to severe
infection, malnourishment, problems in speech and learning and lot
- The tooth is the only part of the body that can’t heal itself